Exercise is important to improving and maintaining good health. Paraquad’s Health and Wellness Center is a fully accessible gym for people with disabilities.
In addition to the equipment found in most gyms, such as a treadmill, Thera bands, free weights, and a balance ball, our Health and Wellness Center has the following:
- Motomeds: Stationary exercise bikes for the arms and legs of people who use wheelchairs, or have restricted movement. These bikes provide passive, active assistive and active movement for training;
- Equalizer weight equipment: Wheelchair accessible and adjustable weight equipment;
- VitaGlide: A wheelchair accessible piece of equipment that targets the shoulders and arms;
- Endorphin arm and leg bikes: Stationary exercise bikes for the arms and legs of people who use wheelchairs (active movement only);
- Standing frames: A machine that provides alternative positioning by supporting the person in a partial or full standing position;
- Ergys bike: Stationary bike that uses low level electrical stimulation to allow people with little or no voluntary leg movement to actively pedal a bike;
- Wheelchair treadmill: A treadmill for manual wheelchair users. The person in the wheelchair uses the same pushing/pulling motion to propel their wheelchair on the track;
- Uppertone: A wheelchair accessible piece of weight equipment designed specifically for upper body training for quadriplegia and tetraplegia;
- Schwinn Airdyne: A stationary bike that uses an air resistance system, which means the harder you work, the greater your workout.
Other Amenities and Services
The Health and Wellness Center also includes a Mobility Skills Course for people to train on new equipment and gain confidence in navigating mobility challenges, such as wheelchair ramps and curb cuts, typical in the community. Our staff includes occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and physical therapy assistants. We help participants develop an exercise program that best meets their needs and goals. Participants who enroll in a 12-week program also receive a health handbook and nutrition program.
Health and Wellness Center hours (by appointment only)
Monday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday: 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Please get in touch if you’re interested in joining the Health and Wellness Center.