Paraquad Deaf Way Interpreting Services believes all interpreters have strengths as well as areas for improvement.
Our mentorship program is a one-on-one relationship that provides individualized skill development. The 12-week session is offered twice a year in spring and fall.
Additionally, four two-week accelerated sessions designed for educational interpreters are offered in the summer. The sessions meet 40 hours a week.
What will you experience from the mentorship program?
- One-on-one mentoring with a Deaf Way staff interpreter.
- Interpreting in a variety of settings at your mentor’s discretion.
- Observing seasoned interpreters to increase exposure to and knowledge of common types of interpreting assignments such as educational, business, medical, mental health and legal.
- Learning the logistics and soft skills necessary to navigate daily life in the field.
- Feedback on your live product from your mentor.
- Up to 200 hours of observation during each semester.
Who are the mentors?
- Our mentors are certified at the MICS advanced and master certification levels and have Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf certifications.
- Our mentors have years of experience, ranging from 5-30 years.
- Our mentors have experience in the mentoring process.
What is expected of mentees?
- An open mind.
- Desire to grow.
- Excellent communication.
- Accountability for the learning experience.
Improve your interpreting skills with Deaf Way Interpreting Services. Let us mentor you before you take the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) Certification test.
Application deadline for Spring is January 21, 2019. Interviews will be held that week to determine if applicants qualify for the program.
A $100 fee is payable after your application is accepted. Interest free installment plans are also available.
Contact Nicole DeVore, Interpreter Services Supervisor, for more information.