Coming in late 2017, Paraquad is launching The Bloom Café, a new venture that serves coffee, breakfast and lunch while providing job training for people with disabilities.
The Bloom Café
Don’t miss The Bloom Café on Oakland Avenue!
- Order online and have coffee and a breakfast sandwich delivered right to your car on the way to work.
- Come enjoy a leisurely lunch on the beautiful garden patio.
- Picking up grumpy kids from school? Stop by for gelato on the way home!
- Reserve the private dining room with high-speed internet for your next business meeting.
At The Bloom Café, you can expect fresh, simple food, friendly service and comfy seating at a good price. Come see us between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
The Social Impact
The best part about The Bloom Café is that it promotes employment for people with disabilities. With every cup of coffee, you are helping someone get closer to achieving their goal of financial independence.
People with disabilities have the highest poverty rate of any minority group, which isn’t surprising considering that only 34 percent of working-age adults with disabilities are employed, compared to 77 percent of nondisabled adults.
The Bloom Café will provide job training for people with disabilities to increase their financial independence. The program is divided into three stages:
- Training Program: Students will receive culinary instruction in a training kitchen and learn soft skills in the classroom. Some students will also acquire ServSafe certification.
- Paid Internship: Graduates of the training program will progress to a paid three- to six-month internship in the café to hone their skills and build credentials before entering the workforce.
- Job Placement: At the end of the internship, Paraquad will assist job seekers in finding and maintaining a job, providing support in resume and cover letter writing, job seeking and interview preparation.
If you are interested in supporting this program, visit our Kickstarter campaign. And of course, plan to come enjoy The Bloom Café and tell all your friends!
If you or someone you know might benefit from the training program, please contact Beth Jantz. You will be among the first to know when enrollment opens for the first training class!